Replacing your roof is a big decision and should not be taken lightly. Owning and maintaining a building is an investment, so decisions need to be thought through. When it comes to roofing, you have several options and it is important to make sure you get what is right for you. Not only is it important to consider possible weather changes and how they will affect your roof, there are also some important tips to consider when choosing a new roof or replacing your old one.
Replacing Your Roof: What You Need to Know
- Re-roofing: You can place new shingles over old ones and this will save you money. There are problems that come with this too that you should be aware of. Re-roofing with new tiles over old ones can shorten the lifespan of your new tiles because heat can build up between the layers affecting insulation and moisture can build up.
- Measurements matter: Before buying materials or picking a design, you need to get your roof measured by a professional. Most roofing contractors will do this for you and will provide an estimate of pricing for materials and labor. Once you have this information, you can pick styles and materials accurately so there are no financial surprises.
- More than tiles: Roofing involves more than tiles because you need to consider the wood and sealant that goes beneath them too. Placing tiles on defective or unsuitable materials can lead to more damage and more costs. It is advised to perform regular checks on both tiles and the materials underneath after installation to make sure integrity remains intact through the seasons.
- Ventilation: Proper ventilation is the best way to ensure that your roofing lasts a long time. Ventilation protects your roofing system from seasonal weather damage. During the summer, ventilation regulates the temperature and during the winter it prevents moisture from collecting.
- Making the right choice: There are a number of roofing contractors in the area, so you need too chose wisely. Make sure you hire a contractor that knows a variety of roofing materials and styles. Most roofers will offer free inspection services and help you identify any potential problems. Choosing a reliable and qualified roofer ensures you get quality work and a longer lasting roof.
Replacing your roof or constructing a new one is an important decision. The roof provides security and safety for your building and can detract from the value if done poorly. Work with only the best contractor and take note of the important tips above to make sure you get a long-lasting and durable roof for years to come.
Decrease your electricity bills by installing metal roofing systems. Using galvanized steel roofing or corrugated galvanized steel roofing is not only in trend but it will last longer and save you money.