Nothing lasts forever, and this includes even the toughest outdoor furniture. Eventually, patios, decks, flooring, and furniture need to be upgraded or replaced. The Houston weather can be mostly dry and warm, but constant sun exposure can wear the furniture down. Additionally, the changing global climate can mean unpredictable weather and rain, winds, or even snow, that will take their toll on your outdoor patio. Not all outdoor furniture is built the same so some will outlast others. How long you can last will depend on a few factors such as:
- Construction materials
- Manufacturer and Craftsmanship
- Frequency of Use
When To Replace Your Outdoor Furniture
These factors will decide whether your patio furniture lasts a few weeks, months, or years. Of these, one of the most important and influential is material. When looking for the perfect outdoor furniture for your Houston patio, it is important to understand what each material type has to offer.
- Wrought Iron – The reason wrought iron is so popular is because of its ability to be easily crafted into ornate shapes and designs. While it can be made into uniquely crafted furniture, it is not water-resistant and can rust easily, so if used on your patio make sure it will be protected or covered from any rain.
- Aluminum – Aluminum is a longer-lasting alternative for wrought iron. It can be easily crafted but is also water-resistant. You can also choose powder-coated aluminum which is even more durable and resistant to water damage.
- Wicker – If you want a timeless look, wicker is the best option. The trouble is that wicker fibers can break down easily with frequent weather exposure. Too much moisture can rot wicker, and too much sun can make it brittle. If you want wicker that will get through every season, look for all-resin wicker. You get the same timeless look but get more durable construction.
- Wood – How long wood furniture will last depends on the type of wood. The harder the wood, the more durable furniture will be and the longer it will last. Teak is one of the hardest woods and ideal for outdoor furniture because it contains natural oils that prevent rotting and are insect-resistant.
- Plastic – When you want affordability over everything else, plastic furniture is the way to go. Many plastic patio pieces are now made with recycled plastic and designed to be more elegant in appearance. However, be aware that plastic furniture can break easily, especially when made with cheaper plastic.
When Is It Time To Replace Outdoor Furniture?
You may want to replace your patio furniture when it’s time for a new look. Or you may want to change it when it is looking a little rundown. If you bought your patio furniture with the hopes of keeping it for a while, then there are a few signs to look for that will tell you it is time to get something newer.
- Listing – When furniture is listed, it is breaking down and it is time for something new. Don’t wait for it to come crashing down. Start looking as soon as you notice this.
- Creaking – If your chairs are creaking every time you sit down then they are getting weaker. You don’t want to find yourself falling to the floor, so head to the store as soon as you hear those first creaks.
- Rust – Poor maintenance can allow rust or mold to develop on outdoor furniture and it cannot always be removed. Over time it will weaken and ruin the furniture. If you see rust or mold, it is time to get new stuff.
With durable materials and proper care, your outdoor furniture can last several seasons. But, it will not last forever. When you see the signs of furniture breaking down, it is time to start looking for replacements. And, we have the best options for every Houston patio.