If you are looking to put your house on the market, doing some remodeling is a great way to add value and increase your asking price. But, you don’t want to invest too much otherwise the return you get will be reduced. There are a number of remodeling ideas that can turn your home from boring to custom without breaking your bank. You’ll end up with a great home to sell and a return on your investment.
The Best Remodeling Ideas for Selling Your Home
- New appliances: Close to 70 percent of home buyers report that they are willing to pay more for a home that has new appliances. There is a peace of mind that comes with knowing you don’t have to buy appliances or worry about old ones breaking down, so consider upgrading your appliances before you sell.
- Super-size the closet: Going super-size is a popular trend in housing as bigger is almost always viewed as better. A walk-in closet attached to the master bedroom will not cost you much but will win over many more buyers. They will also be willing to pay more for a larger closet as it is seen as luxurious rather than just practical. If you have the space in the master bedroom, then super-size your closet and increase your asking price.
- New Countertops: Granite countertops are classic and new buyers will pay to have these gorgeous accessories in their kitchen. This is especially beneficial if you have a smaller kitchen because it will not cost you too much and will add immense value to the kitchen and home.
- Improve energy efficiency: Adding something as simple as attic insulation adds value to the home by saving on energy costs for the new owner. You can also upgrade HVAC units and water heaters to improve energy usage for the home. The savings the new owners will experience can boost the value of your home and selling price.
- Take care of the exterior: Curb appeal is what will attract buyers in the first place. By investing in the front yard and décor of the exterior of the home, you will get more attention and more value. The first impression a house makes is the most important and the yard and front of the home makes the biggest statement. Add a coat of new paint to the door and sidings and add some bright color shrubs or bushes along the path to spruce up the first impression your home will make.
- Remodel the bathroom: Bathrooms are the second most important rooms to buyers, after the kitchen. You can do minor upgrades to a bathroom and make a big statement. New fixtures and cabinets go a long way in making an old bathroom look new again and you should consider re-grouting the tile to make sure it doesn’t look dingy.
- Fix up the flooring: Along with a fresh coat of paint, a new carpet makes a big difference to a room and the home. If you have the money, invest in hardwood floors, as these are becoming more popular. Easy to clean and providing an elegant look, hardwood floors are a hit with buyers. It funds are low, consider upgrading smaller rooms only and consider new carpet elsewhere through the house.
- Make it bigger: A bigger house means a bigger asking price. When you increase the square footage, the value increases too. Adding space can be expensive but numbers show that these additions more than pay off. Adding another bedroom, family room, or even a bathroom can put you in competition with the bigger houses on the block, which means you can price more competitively and recoup your investment.
When it comes to selling, you want to be able to recoup any investments, so choose your remodeling ideas wisely. With the right upgrades and changes you can add value to your home and increase your chances of selling quickly. Stick with these popular upgrades and you can assured of getting the most for your home when it comes time to sell.