When the time comes to renovate your house, you are excited and at the same time aware of the changes ahead of you. You finally get one step closer to the home of your dreams and the entire planning and design process is thrilling. Despite the fun and anticipation of that dream home at the end renovations can be challenging, which is why we offer six handy tips to make sure the process is smooth for you.
Preparing for Your Home Renovation
- Budgeting: Setting a budget is essential when it comes to renovations to keep you on track. You want to have a buffer built in to cover any emergencies or unexpected costs that you may come across. Damaged plumbing or rotten floorboards can be a real nightmare if that buffer were not in place.
- Be Realistic: Once you know how much you can spend, you can design the renovations, but it is important to remain realistic during this process. The idea of a brand-new kitchen with new fixtures sounds ideal, but a new coat of paint and some new accessories may be all you need to get the same fresh look. By identifying the east alterations, you can adjust your budget, so you have more available to focus on essential components of the renovation.
- Do Your Research: When it comes to finding the materials for your project, first identify the high-end options you want. Then you can research the middle and low-end options. For the most part, there is a middle to a low-end alternative for every expensive material out there, so you can get the same look at a more reasonable price. Quartz, for example, is the new favorite over granite, as it gives the same look, is more durable, and inexpensive.
- Conduct Interviews: Some specific projects in renovating require professional expertise, so it is a good idea to have professionals to call on. Having a go-to professional is also a necessary option should anything go wrong during the renovation. They also can provide good insight and suggestions by looking over your plans first to help guide you in the right direction or offer any improvements.
- Do It Yourself: You don’t have to have every tool for every project, but with some time and research, there will likely be a few projects you can handle yourself. Just be realistic and know which jobs you can do and when you need to call in the experts.
- Remember the Alternatives: Often you will have ideas that just do not make sense long-term so when your budget or common-sense steps in, it is always a good idea to have back up plans. Always keep in mind the money you are putting into the renovation because if you renovate it to be more than the market value of the neighborhood, it will never sell.
Renovations are a great way to give your beloved home new life or the best way to revamp an old house for a new sale. So long as you prepare and follow the tips above, the process can be smooth and exciting. Call us today for any advice and recommendations and we’ll make sure you get the dream kitchen, bathroom, or living room that you always wanted.