Going green is the trend of the year and more and more people want to change their lives to be more sustainable and more eco-friendly. There are a number of things you can do to join the green movement and save money as well as save the environment.
Ways to Make Your Life More Sustainable
- Lose the plastic: There are so many alternative forms of packaging today to use instead of plastic. There are reusable bags made of silicone and canvas as well as fabric options that can be used time and time again. There are also non-toxic plastic options available that are more eco-friendly and will not harm the environment.
- Drink from the tap: Most cities have safe drinking water so there is no need to get plastic bottles. If you don’t like the taste of tap water, invest in a filtration system before opting for the bottles. If the convenience of a bottle appeals to you, buy a reusable one instead and cut down on the plastic waste.
- Clean more naturally: Opt for natural cleaning products to clean up your living spaces. There are numerous products that are safe, non-toxic, and made from natural ingredients that will clean as well as protect your health. You can also mix your own cleaners from natural ingredients and choose disposable packaging too.
- Go with glass: Glass jars and storage containers can be used for storing food instead of plastic. Storing food and having leftovers is also a way to cut down on the tons of food dumped each year in landfills. The containers may still have plastic lids but at least you are cutting down and many these days are made from non-toxic materials.
- Clothesline: Letting the sun and breeze dry your clothes save energy and left your clothes smelling great. You also reduce the carbon footprint left by your home. Since there are more than 90 million clothes dryers running in the country, get your neighbors and friends to start air-drying too.
- Switch to LED: LED light bulbs use less electricity than regular bulbs which means fewer power plants have to produce harmful emissions to keep the lights on. Not only do LED lights last 14 times longer which saves you money, but they also save the environment and reduce the waste of bulbs that sit in landfills.
- Donate: Rather than throw things out to end up in a landfill, donate them or re-sell them. What may be junk to you could be a treasurer to someone else, plus you reduce the overall amount of waste.
It is important to acknowledge the damage being done to our planet which is why green efforts are becoming more standard. You can do your part to save the environment and end up saving money too. Try making a few of these changes above and make your household a green house.